Wednesday 2 May 2012

Roots

So most people tell me how one has very distinct singular roots. How one belongs to one community. As a kid that troubled me. I was born a Bengali. I was born in a quiet city called Midnapur in West Bengal. And I grew up all over India.
Primarily in Punjab. And before I knew it I felt and behaved like one.

But that is the thing. My roots have kept evolving throughout.

I do not have singular roots. I have roots in many places and in many cultures. I find my roots in Pune too. The city where I came of age. The city that broke my heart, mended it and taught me to be an adult.

My roots also lie in Delhi. A city I defend and criticize with equal passion. A city I cry for when I am away.

Now I live in Bombay and am slowly forming connections here. Slowly absorbing the essence of what makes it the way it is.

I have figured that I form these roots not just because of what I absorb but also because of people I interact with. The ones I meet... The ones who influence me... The ones who leave... It all contributes to small parts of what makes me and the stories behind the creation of these parts.

 
Over the years the realization of all this helped me come to terms with the fact that I am and will always be a khanabadosh. I will forever carry my home on my shoulders forming roots around the world. And THAT is quite a fun realization :)

6 comments:

Ire said...

That is a lot of places :) And what is Khanabadosh? I am a half bong, half gujju, born in Mumbai, living in Gurgaon now and married to a Punjabi. I am not sure of my roots.

zephyr said...

khanabadosh is a gypsy :)
n u live in gurgaon? i thought u were bk in bombay..
u have roots in all these cultures. I am sure u know that already. Or will discover soon :)

Ankur said...

The notion of "singular roots" is difficulty to digest and as you so clearly pointed out, one's roots are defined by the people we come across rather than the city one lives in !
Interesting read !!

zephyr said...

Thank you Ankur :)

Shreya said...

Roots are over-rated. You are where you are and who you choose to be.

I'm a UP-Delhi-Mumbai-i dont know what mixture, and I kinda like it ;)

zephyr said...

hehe awesome mixture !